Monday, May 31, 2010

Southwestern-Style Summer Salad

It has been HOT in mid-Michigan lately, so I've been craving cold refreshing green salads. Lucky for me, my CSA share last week included a variety of great-looking greens. I stared at them until they reminded me of something - in this case, my favorite salad from Chipotle (I know, I'm a classy restaurant-goer). This ended up tasting different, but that was okay; it was still refreshing and interesting. I highly recommend throwing sorrel in with your other salad greens. I'd never had it before, and it adds a tangy excitement to a milder salad mix. Read on for the recipe.



Southwestern-Style Summer Salad (serves 4)
  • 1 head romaine, chopped into strips
  • A few leaves of sorrel, torn or chopped small
  • A few dozen cilantro leaves
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup corn kernels (I used defrosted frozen corn, but fresh would be better, and fresh/roasted would be the best)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack
  • Crumbled tortilla chips for garnish
  • Dressing: 2 T each olive oil, lime juice, and water; 1 T shredded cilantro leaves; pinch of cumin; pinch of salt; pinch of sugar
  1. Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar; shake and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
  2. Prepare and toss greens in a large bowl. Add beans and corn. Toss again.
  3. Serve with cheese, tortilla chips, and dressing to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment