Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mediterranean Dinner


Inspired by Amy of Runs with Spatula, I decided a few weeks ago to try making hummus again. To round the meal out, I made mujadara (a lentil and rice dish) and homemade pita.

It turned out pretty well. I'm starting to realize that when I compare my versions of certain dishes with the ones I get from stores and restaurants, they're disappointing, but if I approach them as a new and different food, they can still be good. This happened with the mujadara - it didn't taste like what I get from Aladdin's or Sultan's, but Chris doesn't remember those versions and thought mine was perfect.

Recipes after the break -

Whole Wheat Pita
(Adapted from a friend's recipe - makes 6)
  • 2 tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees F)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups white whole wheat flour
  • A dollop or two of honey
In a mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Slowly add water and stir until a soft dough forms. Add honey and stir more. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth/elastic, about 7-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500 degrees F for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Hummus
I've seen many hummus recipes; this was a composite.
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste - check the Middle Eastern foods section of your grocery store)
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Mix everything in a food processor; taste it and adjust ingredients. If it's too thick, add some water. That's all there is to it. Serve with paprika and olive oil on top if you want to be fancy; eat with pita or fresh veggies.

Mujadara

I started with this recipe from Desert Candy. I made a half batch, used olive oil instead of butter, short-grain brown instead of long-grain white rice, doubled the spices, and left out the cardamom because I don't have any. Despite the helpful warnings, my rice and lentils got mushy and un-photogenic. If you make this, try the original recipe, not mine. If I get it right, believe me, I'll post.

No comments:

Post a Comment