Vegetable Soup When Your Cupboard Is Bare
(Servings depends on how much you put in; takes 10-20 minutes)
- Broth or stock if you have it; water if you don't
- Tomato (if you like it): 1/2 cup leftover tomato sauce or 1/2 can diced tomatoes with their juice. If you aren't using tomatoes, try adding some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Herbs and spices: pick and choose from oregano, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, rosemary, black pepper, basil, and thyme.
- Vegetables: frozen, canned, or leftover green beans, broccoli, peas, corn, onion, red pepper, etc.
- White beans (optional but recommended)
- Pasta - macaroni, rotini, penne, etc. (optional but helps)
- Garnish: crackers, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, etc.
- Bring liquid, tomatoes, herbs and spices to a boil in an appropriately-sized pot.
- Add vegetables, beans, and uncooked pasta (if using). Boil until vegetables and pasta are tender (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- If using cooked pasta, add it now, at the end.
- Ladle into bowls; add cheese, crackers, etc.