As usual, I'm making up amounts after the fact, so don't worry about sticking too closely to the recipe. Do what sounds good to you. Warning: these can be tricky to eat!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tostadas (serves 3-4)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (or equivalent in dried beans, cooked and rinsed)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2+ cloves garlic, minced (I think I used three)
- a lot of spinach (I used fresh baby spinach from a bag and ran out - you can use fresh or frozen, but you'll probably want 6-8 cooked servings)
- 8+ corn tostada shells (or flour tortillas, for burritos)
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander (optional)
- salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper/hot sauce to taste
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pan that has a cover (I use my 3.5 qt. saute pan). Add sweet potato, onion, cumin, coriander, and cayenne; stir to coat, then saute covered for about 30 minutes. Add beans for last ten minutes.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a frying pan and add garlic. Saute for a couple minutes, then add spinach a handful at a time and cover to wilt, adding a little water if needed. Repeat until all spinach is wilted (if you are using frozen spinach, just saute until cooked).
- To assemble: place some spinach on a tostada shell, then top with a large scoop of the sweet potato/bean mixture. Add salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce to taste.