Friday, May 22, 2009

Garlic-Cheese Soda Bread

I've always liked soda bread (plus, I haven't worked with yeast yet and I'm sort of intimidated). Kevin at Closet Cooking posted this recipe back around St. Patrick's Day; I made a couple loaves then, and I've made it a few times since. It's good, and it's easy! Kevin makes his in a bread pan, but I've only made it on a baking sheet. Last weekend I decided to make it more interesting with garlic and cheese. Mmm. Great fresh and warm, or reheat it in the oven before serving.

This recipe, like the original recipe from Closet Cooking, makes one medium-size loaf.


Garlic-Cheese Soda Bread

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour (I use at least 1 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 cup oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for top
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg, beaten (optional - for egg wash)
Directions
  1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Mix in the buttermilk and form a dough. It should hold together, but not be too sticky to handle.
  3. Shape the dough and place it on a baking sheet or in a loaf pan. Cut an X in the top with a sharp knife. Brush with egg to make a shinier crust (optional). Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
  4. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 40 minutes or so (the top should be golden brown).

*If you don't have buttermilk, add 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Probably works better with 2% or above.

No comments:

Post a Comment