This recipe, like the original recipe from Closet Cooking, makes one medium-size loaf.
Garlic-Cheese Soda Bread
- 2 cups flour (I use at least 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for top
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten (optional - for egg wash)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix in the buttermilk and form a dough. It should hold together, but not be too sticky to handle.
- Shape the dough and place it on a baking sheet or in a loaf pan. Cut an X in the top with a sharp knife. Brush with egg to make a shinier crust (optional). Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 40 minutes or so (the top should be golden brown).
*If you don't have buttermilk, add 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Probably works better with 2% or above.